7 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
mjolund
(@mjolund)
Active Member Customer
Topic starter  

Hi.

In the manual for the T-rex 550X it is described to set up the tail rotor pitch neutral position with a slight offset adding some torque to counteract the main rotor. The heli comes with a BeastX FBL, so the explained mechanical setup is probably optimized for that unit. My question is: is such an offset optimal also when using the Brain 2, or should I go with zero degree pitch in neutral position and let the Brain deal with counteracting the main rotor?

Topic Tags
Jimmy
(@jimm-y)
Eminent Member Customer

I had issues when I 1st setup my 470 and ended up setting zero tail pitch, just been setting up my 500 and I've done same and again no issues, solong as your not going to flyning rate mode

ReplyQuote
Jimmy
(@jimm-y)
Eminent Member Customer

Posted by: @jimm-y

I had issues when I 1st setup my 470 and ended up setting zero tail pitch, just been setting up my 500 and I've done same and again no issues, so long as your not going to flying rate mode

ReplyQuote
BrainDev
(@customercare)
Reputable Member Admin Registered

If you will only and solely use the tail gyro in Heading Lock mode and never use Rate Mode then it is not essential to mechanically adjust the tail to perfection because Heading Lock can compensate for even mechanical tail setup errors.

However, if you plan in the future to use Rate Mode as well then it is absolutely necessary to mechanically adjust the tail so that in Rate Mode, with zero tail stick control and servo horn at 90° to the tail control linkage, the tail blades are tilted to counteract the torque generated by the main rotor and so that in Rate Mode in flight the model does not rotate on itself.

This is achieved by lengthening or shortening the tail control linkage or by sliding the tail servo forward or backward (if it is mounted on the tail boom). However, you should not change the position of the tail servo horn, which in Rate Mode and tail stick in the center should remain at 90° to the tail control linkage.

However, this setup does well even when the gyro operates in Heading Hold because the tail control power will be equal and identical in the two directions of rotation.

Never use transmitter trimmers for these tail adjustments because each time the flight controller is restarted, the trimming values would be offset and reset. Therefore, it would be a completely useless adjustment valid only for that one power-up of the flight control unit and no longer valid at subsequent times.

Jimmy reacted
ReplyQuote
mjolund
(@mjolund)
Active Member Customer
Topic starter  

@jimm-y Thanks for responding. I’ll try this and see how it feels 😊 

ReplyQuote
mjolund
(@mjolund)
Active Member Customer
Topic starter  

@customercare Thanks for responding. I’ll probably test both zero pitch and some offset to get a feel for it now that I know both are valid options 

ReplyQuote
Jimmy
(@jimm-y)
Eminent Member Customer

Posted by: @mjolund

@jimm-y Thanks for responding. I’ll try this and see how it feels 😊 

Be interest how you get on if you do try both ways.

ReplyQuote
Join Waitlist We will inform you when the product arrives in stock. Just leave your valid email address below.
Email Quantity We won't share your address with anybody else.